Saturday, May 8, 2010

You Sound Smart, Can I Buy You a Drink?

Whew!

Double-post bonus today, I was able to find the article I wrote last week, and thought I had deleted. I'll admit to being a bit of a geek, but I'm still getting used to doing this blog thing.

Anyway, it's a little hard to sit back down at this .. thing (I don't own an 'actual' computer--that's just too bourgeois, even for me,) after writing the Best Book Review Ever Written. Oh sure, some guy did a write-up about some books a long time ago that was pretty great at the time, but it was more of a product review. What I composed was definitely a book review. If you've written a book, and want a rock-solid review of the coffee-table correctness of it, be sure to contact me soon. This star's rising fast.

So, that same, prolific writer recently described a bloviation summit, where cycling happened to insert itself into the discussion, or something like that. (It sounds like what we do here in Seattle in discussion forums, but we're not organized enough to do in a public meeting.) Bloviation is not a word that is often used out here on the west coast, (or maybe I'm just spelling it wrong.) It's more of an electronic contact sport, than a vocabulary enhancement. In fact, the word itself sounds a bit like it may be in more common usage as a slang term for throwing up while fellating someone. ("Sorry about getting so trashed last night. Did we do it?" "Umm..not exactly.")

As I was cogitating the proper incorporation of this term, I checked My Facebook (that's where I get all my news now,) and learned that drinking alcohol leads to being more smarter and screwing more. There was something about a religious component thrown in there, too, but that just made me question the sample size. Well, let me say, Whew! Thank god for that one. I would like to discuss this in greater detail, but frankly, I'm not sure that I need to. Moreover, my glass is empty, and you've still got a wallet on you.

Either way, without further ado, my favorite of the Grand Tours started today. The Versus Channel finally saw fit to air coverage of the Tour de Romandie. This is great; don't get me wrong. The race took place some time ago, though, and so I'm guessing they sent the tape back from Europe for US broadcast via single-speed bicycle. I'm pretty laid back, and yes, I'm willing to wait for the HD footage of our sport's "cream of the crop" stretched into their lycra, like an army of helmeted, mobile David-Lee-Roths, but I'm starting to lose my sense of time and space.

Luckily, the Universal Sports network is broadcasting the Giro with same day coverage. The Dolomites, Perugia, Venice, the regions and cities the Giro visits are some of the greatest in the world. It leaves me at a loss for words.

We have sunshine here in Seattle, so pasty white legs are on the trails everywhere this weekend. Be sure to bring sunglasses, if you ride. And if you do...

Ride safe. I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment